"Thanks to Jay Gilbert for bringing My World to the new world" - Smokey Robinson
"As a teenager in the Pacific Northwest, Jay smuggled his Canon F-1 into rock concerts to get the perfect shot of the likes of Queen, Van Halen and Cheap Trick. After college, he toured as a musician gaining invaluable experience in what it takes to create and promote an album. He later translated that knowledge as an executive with Universal, Sony and Warner Music Groups.
He moved to San Francisco and finally to Los Angeles for Universal Music where he worked for 18 years, most recently as VP New Media and Online Marketing for Universal Music Enterprises.
Jay has been on the cutting edge of Digital Sales & Marketing with Universal, Starbucks Entertainment, Fox and Warner Music. It is this unique perspective as a musician, music executive, and fan that makes Jay‘s approach to Digital Strategy and Online Marketing so artist-friendly."
- In 2004 while at Universal, Jay launched the first digital-only label, responsible for all aspects of the operations. The groundbreaking label was featured on NPR, Nights With Alice Cooper, Billboard Magazine and in the NY Times.
- Always on the cutting edge of music and technology, he also created the industry's first sheet music + album download (for the Grammy award-winning “Fingerprints” album by Peter Frampton)
- NARM Award for Best Online Marketing Campaign (for Ron White)
- Created and executed unique online marketing plans for Nirvana, KISS, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, Styx, Rob Zombie, Smokey Robinson, Tears For Fears, Kiss, Rick Springfield, Lisa Loeb, Ringo Starr, Ron White, Peter Frampton, Amy Grant and many, many others.
- Guest speaker at Columbia, Portland State, USC and UCLA Music Business Programs.
- Voting member of the Recording Academy
- Click here for Jay's Linked In profile
- Photography is Jay's creative outlet. He's photographed hundreds of artists in the studio and on tour: Click "Photography" below.