"Thanks to Jay Gilbert for bringing My World to the new world" - Smokey Robinson
"As a teenager in the Pacific Northwest, Jay smuggled his Canon F-1 into rock concerts to get the perfect shot of the likes of Queen, Van Halen and Cheap Trick. After college, he toured as a musician gaining invaluable experience in what it takes to create and promote an album. He later translated that knowledge as an executive with Universal, Sony and Warner Music Groups.
He moved to San Francisco and finally to Los Angeles for Universal Music where he worked for 18 years, most recently as VP New Media and Online Marketing for Universal Music Enterprises.
Jay has been on the cutting edge of Digital Sales & Marketing with Universal, Starbucks Entertainment, Fox and Warner Music. It is this unique perspective as a musician, music executive, and fan that makes Jay‘s approach to Digital Strategy and Online Marketing so artist-friendly."
- Created and executed unique online marketing plans for Elton John, The Accidentals, KISS, Nirvana, Jake Allen, Roger Joseph Manning Jr., Cécile McLorin Salvant, Macy Gray, Andy Summers, Styx, Rob Zombie, Julian Lage, Smokey Robinson, Tower of Power, Jeffrey Osborne, The Police, Tears For Fears, Rick Springfield, Lisa Loeb, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Ringo Starr, Larry The Cable Guy, Ron White, Peter Frampton, Amy Grant and many others.
- Led the Fox International Digital team on Avatar, The Simpsons, Family Guy and many others.
- Guest speaker at USC, UCLA, Columbia, Chico State and Portland State Music Business Programs.
- Moderated the Paths To Playlists panel at the 2018 Music Biz Conference
- Managed successful Pledgemusic campaigns for Rick Springfield, Roger Joseph Manning Jr. and others.
- In 2004 while at Universal, launched the first digital-only label, responsible for all aspects of the operations. The groundbreaking label was featured on NPR, Nights With Alice Cooper, Billboard Magazine and in the NY Times.
- Always on the cutting edge of music and technology, created the industry's first sheet music + album download (for the Grammy award-winning “Fingerprints” album by Peter Frampton)
- NARM Award for Best Online Marketing Campaign
- Voting member of the Recording Academy
- Click here for my Linked In profile
- Photography is my creative outlet. I've photographed hundreds of artists in the studio and on tour including album covers for Rick Springfield, John Waite, Ace Frehley, The Temptations, Vintage Trouble and Joey DeFrancesco.
Click the Photography link below to see my work.